1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before?
Been registered as a psychologist. Stayed for longer than a night in Brisbane & Melbourne. Made a tumblr. Cosplayed characters from comics. Been asked for an interview.
2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't think I actually made any last year? Though I don't really make resolutions, I do have goals for the new year – thesis, job, posting more and so on.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope. At least, I hope not, because if they did I didn't notice.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
We had three deaths in the family this year, all in quick succession. I wasn't emotionally close to any of them (it comes of living so far from all of your extended relatives), so the biggest impact was on my mother. There's also been a lot of ugly family drama, unfortunately.
5. What countries did you visit?
Only Singapore. It's been a busy year, I haven't had a lot of time for traveling!
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2011?
Lmao to actually get paid for the job I've spent 2.5 years working? Ahahahaha. A completed thesis (please please). A charity. And, for the first time in an awfully long time (possibly ever), maybe a romantic relationship. Over the past three years I simply haven't had time, and before that I just wasn't in the right place (you know what they say, you have to love yourself before you can love someone else). I imagine I'll feel like a skittish deer about the whole thing, but you never know.
7. What date from 2011 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Maybe November, when I managed to meet about four celebrities and a bunch of new friends in the space of a couple of days? Or December 18th, which was From One Stranger to Another & thus )hopefully) the start of something really amazing. :)
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
PSYCHOLOGIST. Also talking to someone who was floridly psychotic for the first time and not freaking out.
9. What was your biggest failure?
My research, I suspect. It's just going so slowly – finding schools that will let me in is the hardest part. It has definitely been my biggest concern this year.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
11. What was the best thing you bought?
40 flowers and 50 presents, to hand out to strangers. :) My DSLR 60D. And my Gryffindor scarf.
12. Whose behaviour merited celebration?
Some of my clients, and some amazing cosplayers. Everyone in my cohort at uni, for getting through those brutal three years.
13. Whose behaviour made you appalled and depressed?
Certain family members.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food. Bills. The usual. :\
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Meeting Colin Morgan & Billy Boyd. Getting to attend the fan media preview of the HP exhibition.
16. What song will always remind you of 2011?
Fortune, by Heather Dale. Superhero, by Simon Curtis.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Not the slightest idea.
iii. richer or poorer? Always, always poorer. :\
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Reading. Dancing. Posting journal entries.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Aimless internet surfing. - directly quoting fahye there.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Oh man, my Christmas was pretty embarrassing. With my mum in WA, my brother in Melbourne and my Dad in Singapore, I spent it alone. With two minute noodles, lmfao. But that's okay, the weekend before was an amazing Christmas celebration.
21. How will you be spending New Year's?
...belated post is belated! I spent it at Tom's place with a bunch of amazing people who I feel like I'm only just getting to know. I ate delicious ham, and I have seen more of Silent Hill than I ever, ever cared to. xD
22. Did you fall in love in 2011?
23. How many one-night stands?
Lmao I'm afraid those are just not my style!
24. What was your favorite TV program(s)?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't think so! Frank Miller maybe, ahahahah.
26. What was the best book you read?
Honestly I've mainly been re-reading old favourites this year, 'cause my brain's too worn out to fit new characters and plots in. :\
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Er, no idea? The St Trinian's soundtrack maybe, which I hadn't actually paid attention to before.
28. What did you want and get?
Qualification as a psychologist. A job at the HP exhibition. A new DSLR.
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
UM. I seriously have no idea, I can't even remember what came out this year!
31. What did you do on your birthday?
Went to Armageddon dressed as Gabrielle!
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Getting my data collection done.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2011?
Years Gone By. Roughly three years, to be precise, which is the last time I was able to afford a proper clothes shopping trip.
34. What kept you sane?
My found family, including fahye, Chantelle & Tegan. My mother. The people in my class. Conventions, and all the amazing people I spend them with. Costumes. MERLIN.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Oh man I have the strangest thing about Eoin Macken (BBC Merlin's Gwaine) at the moment. It's mainly confusion. He's just so pretty, and he's playing a character I've adored since I was eight. But then he joined twitter and was an idiot, and then he made a blog and was intelligent. So basically I don't know what to think, lmao. This is why celebrity crushes never work for me - I could never be attracted to someone based on looks alone, but I'm not silly enough to imagine that I know an actor's personality. So it just gets confusing when I try.
IDK, does Dick Grayson count? Because he should.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
To be honest I've been terrible about keeping up with the news this year.
37. Who did you miss?
fahye WHERE DID YOU GOOOOOOOOO
38. Who was the best new person you met?
Tough question. There are so many people I've only gotten to know this year, who don't really count because technically I've met them before. Perhaps Tom? We've only just met but we've already spent a day as total bros & he's offered advice on our charity, which is both very kind and very helpful. <3
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2011:
Being honest with yourself and others is healthier in the long run than simply avoiding confrontation.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
They laughed and shouted questions
to the fool out in the storm
They thought that I would envy them,
all safe and dry and warm.
But I think I'm done with staying
right where I've been pigeonholed.
The sun is shining somewhere
And fortune loves the bold.
- Fortune, Heather Dale.